Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Reviewing Kevin DeYoung's Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem

Prior to this school year, the past four years were the busiest time in my life. I accepted a new job as a divisional principal, completed an M.Ed. in educational administration, moved to a new school building, moved to a couple new apartment complexes, adopted a third child, and tore my ACL for a second time. I read Kevin DeYoung's Crazy Busy in December when I wasn't feeling crazy busy, and it's the second book by Pastor DeYoung I've read. Once again I wasn't disappointed. I found Pastor DeYoung's award-winning book to be a quick and enjoyable read. Crazy Busy is less than 130 pages and is endorsed by numerous big Christian names, many of whom are authors and musicians that have blessed me. Although Crazy Busy didn't cause me to make radical changes in my life, it did cause me to rethink my priorities in life. I'm happy to say life doesn't feel crazy busy now, and I'm thankful our Father has given me this time to slow down and smell the roses. Below are the ten chapter titles.
  1. Hello, My Name Is Busy
  2. Here, There, and Gone: Three Dangers to Avoid
  3. The Killer P's - Diagnosis #1: You Are Beset with Many Manifestations of Pride
  4. The Terror of Total Obligation - Diagnosis #2: You Are Trying to Do What God Does Not Expect You to Do
  5. Mission Creep - Diagnosis #3: You Can't Serve Others without Setting Priorities
  6. A Cruel Kindergarchy - Diagnosis #4: You Need to Stop Freaking Out about Your Kids
  7. Deep Calls to Deep - Diagnosis #5: You Are Letting the Screen Strangle Your Soul
  8. Rhythm and Blues - Diagnosis #6: You'd Better Rest Yourself before You Wreck Yourself
  9. Embracing the Burdens of Busyness - Diagnosis #7: You Suffer More because You Don't Expect to Suffer at All
  10. The One Thing You Must Do
He must increase, but I must decrease. John 3:30


Crazy Busy - Justin Taylor Interviews Kevin DeYoung from Crossway on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment