Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Reviewing John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life

Recently after delivering a Sunday message, I was asked if I read a lot of books by John Piper. That made me chuckle because I've read more of his books than books by any other author. I first read his book, Don't Waste Your Life, over a decade ago shortly after the book's release and not too long after my move to China. I wasn't a very mature Christian back then (and I still have a ton to learn), but despite the seriousness of Don't Waste Your Life, it's easy to understand and can be enjoyed by believers and nonbelievers in all stages of life. This can't be said about all of Pastor Piper's books since some of his books are poetic pieces or highly academic.

Don't Waste Your Life is a 190-page book that is filled with Scripture and divided into the ten chapters listed below. I read the book as part of a small group study in which we tackled a very manageable one chapter a week. A group study edition, group study kit, and study guide are now available.

1. My Search for a Single Passion to Live By
2. Breakthrough - the Beauty of Christ, My Joy
3. Boasting Only in the Cross, The Blazing Center of the Glory of God
4. Magnifying Christ Through Pain and Death
5. Risk is Right - Better to Lose Your Life Than to Waste It
6. The Goal of Life - Gladly Making Others Glad in God
7. Living to Prove He is More Precious Than Life
8. Making Much of Christ from 8 to 5
9. The Majesty of Christ in Missions and Mercy - A Plea to This Generation
10. My Prayer - Let None Say in the End, "I've Wasted It"

Perhaps the biggest impact the book made on me was an illustration found in chapter three concerning a Reader’s Digest article. The article talked about a couple that retired early so they could ride a boat, play softball, and collects seashells in Florida. Unfortunately, this is the American dream so many are wasting their lives on.

If you are interested in learning how this tough life is supposed to be lived, I recommend Pastor Piper’s Don’t Waste Your Life. You won’t get a feel-good message, but you will be pointed to the one who can make your life mean more than riding motorbikes, playing soccer, and collecting Starbuck mugs.

to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen. Romans 16:27


No comments:

Post a Comment