Friday, January 16, 2015

The Beautiful Game: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

I first began kicking a soccer ball as a seven-year-old when living in Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil. Since that time, the beautiful game has contributed to countless wonderful memories for nearly thirty-five years. It has been a great deal of fun competing against such talented players and teams both as a player and coach. I truly hope to continue to add to those memories for many years to come.

Kicking a ball has also resulted in numerous serious injuries for me - head contusions, sprained ankles, hairline fractures, and torn ligaments and cartilage. I have never played professionally, and I really don't know how professional athletes do it game in and game out. I had a second ACL reconstruction this past summer, and it certainly hasn't always been a rip-roaring time.

Although my right knee feels slightly funky and I've lost the afterburner speed I once had, I'm thankful I can still step on the field (albeit a less competitive one) and make some things happen. I'm thankful that I can make my sixth grade boys laugh when I whiz a ball by one of them or make third grade girls clap when I juggle a ball with my head, shoulders, and knees. I look forward to the day when I will be able to do these things without any kind of pain or fear of injury. I look forward to the day when I can play the beautiful game in that brand spankin' new body playing in that brand spankin' new home. It's going to be nothing short of awesome.

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. 2 Corinthians 4:17

U13 TIS Lady Eagles - Fall 2014 (7 wins, 3 losses, 6 ties)