Friday, January 16, 2015

The Beautiful Game: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

I first began kicking a soccer ball as a seven-year-old when living in Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil. Since that time, the beautiful game has contributed to countless wonderful memories for nearly thirty-five years. It has been a great deal of fun competing against such talented players and teams both as a player and coach. I truly hope to continue to add to those memories for many years to come.

Kicking a ball has also resulted in numerous serious injuries for me - head contusions, sprained ankles, hairline fractures, and torn ligaments and cartilage. I have never played professionally, and I really don't know how professional athletes do it game in and game out. I had a second ACL reconstruction this past summer, and it certainly hasn't always been a rip-roaring time.

Although my right knee feels slightly funky and I've lost the afterburner speed I once had, I'm thankful I can still step on the field (albeit a less competitive one) and make some things happen. I'm thankful that I can make my sixth-grade boys laugh when I whiz a ball by one of them or make third-grade girls clap when I juggle a ball with my head, shoulders, and knees. I look forward to the day when I will be able to do these things without any kind of pain or fear of injury. I look forward to the day when I can play the beautiful game in that brand-spankin' new body playing in that brand-spankin' new home. It's going to be nothing short of awesome.

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. 2 Corinthians 4:17

U13 TIS Lady Eagles - Fall 2014 (7 wins, 3 losses, 6 ties)

No comments:

Post a Comment