Sunday, February 6, 2011

Reviewing R.C. Sproul's Chosen By God

Back in 2000, I started worshipping at Christ Covenant Church, a small Southern Baptist Church in Zionsville, Indiana. It was here where I was introduced to Dr. Sproul's Chosen By God. I was a new believer when I first read Sproul's examination of predestination, and I felt a second read was in order.

Chosen by God is over 210 pages long and is divided into nine chapters. Topics covered include the sovereignty of God, free will, regeneration, hyper-Calvinism, eternal security, the unpardonable sin, limited atonement, evangelism, and more. If these terms are unfamiliar to you, I highly recommend reading Dr. Sproul's book. If you are familiar with the terms but struggle comprehending that God chooses who goes to Heaven and who does not, I recommend this book. Chosen by God contains easy-to-read charts and lists, many pages of Scripture, and simple summaries at the end of the chapters. My second reading of Dr. Sproul's book was beneficial and enjoyable, and I will be sure to recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in learning about God's perfect plan.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, Wick. I need to check it out. Is Christ Covenant Church more Reformed-leaning, as in part of the Founders Movement within the Southern Baptist Convention?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was living in Korea, my pastor left the SBC and joined the OPC. I'm not sure where he is today, but here is where he once preached - http://www.cc-opc.org/AboutChristCovenant.aspx.

    http://thideology.wordpress.com/what-is-thideology/who-is-chip-bayer/ - Chip was a former member at CCC. From these sites you can see what our theological leanings were.

    ReplyDelete