Monday, December 27, 2010

Some Of My 2011 Commitments

As the year comes to a close, I have been reflecting on the challenges and joys of 2010. I have also been thinking about what I believe God wants me to work towards in the new year. A number of thoughts come to mind, but there are three specific goals I am setting out to accomplish in 2011. They are...

1. Recommit Myself To A Fasting Plan - For a number of years, I refrained from eating for at least 24 hours once a month. Unfortunately much of the time I spent fasting was not spent in the best of ways. I felt led to fast so I could grow in my relationship with the Lord, but during many of my fasts, I did not truly focus on the Lord. Fasting is a spiritual discipline that I have been neglecting that is going to be brought back in my life, but this time I plan to have the proper perspective in mind. Read Matthew 6:16-18.

2. Focus On The Book of Romans - Martin Luther called the Book of Romans the chief part of the New Testament and the very purest Gospel. I plan on taking a class on this profound book in the near future, but before I do so, I am going to read a couple of books that will bring me a greater understanding of what Paul wrote. I will also work on memorizing more portions of this book. Although I have memorized many verses over the years (and forgotten many verses over the years), I need to be more diligent in memorizing larger portions of Scripture. No excuses.

3. Taking My Girls On At Least One Daddy Date A Month - Occasionally I take one or both of my girls out on daddy dates. We usually go out to eat at a fun restaurant. We might go to a restaurant that has a playground or one that prepares the food in front of you. We have a good time enjoying the meals and talking about life. However, our dates have been sporadic and could be better if they were planned out. So that is what I am going to do. My girls are already looking forward to January's date: White Castle. Oh yeah - it's what you crave.

So what commitments do you plan on making in the New Year? Below are some links that can help you think about New Year's Resolutions and how to go about them.

Celebrating Rose's 4th Gotcha Day at Pizza Hill



                                                     
Make Plans Not Resolutions: Reflections On Proverbs 16 by Jeremy Carr

Ready For The New Year?  by T.M. Moore

Resolutions  by Tim Challies

Why Most People Don't Keep Their New Year's Resolutions  by Matt Perman

No comments:

Post a Comment