Monday, December 27, 2010

Reviewing Elizabeth George's God's Wisdom for Little Girls: Virtues and Fun from Proverbs 31

We purchased God's Wisdom for Little Girls for Grace as a Christmas gift and to my delight, she has become a fan of it. Although Rose has not shown interest in the book, I plan on reading it to her soon. Much can be taught from the book, and children need these reminders. God's Wisdom for Little Girls is written for young girls and focuses on the qualities and traits found in Proverbs 31:10-31. After some opening rhymes, every other page says in a large and bold font, "God's Little Girl Is...". The qualities and traits highlighted are priceless, kind, eager, helpful, cheerful, busy, hearty, diligent, caring, prepared, creative, prayerful, artistic, confident, gracious, careful, thoughtful, God's child, and cherished. I'm not a big fan of busy, but I understand what the author was intending. Below each quality or trait is a cute little rhyme that focuses on the actions that make up the daily life of a little girl. Below the rhyme is a verse or two from Proverbs 31. The paintings by artist Judy Luenebrink are delightful. On the next-to-last page, you can place the picture of your child. The last page has a mini-glossary and matches words to verses in Proverbs 31. I do wish that the girls in the story came from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, but it is still a nice book nonetheless. I definitely see myself reading and discussing this book with my girls from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment