Saturday, November 25, 2017

I'm an Alpha lovin' Amerasian TCK Hoosier

I'm an Alpha lovin' Amerasian TCK Hoosier. You have full permission to label me this way. In fact, you don't need to have my permission to label this way. Why? It's what I am. It's the truth, and it's not something I can change regardless of how I feel. Let me break down what it means to be so mixed up.

1. Alpha lovin' - There are a few verses in Revelation where Jesus claims to be the Alpha and Omega (e.g, Revelation 1:8, 21:6, 22:13). Jesus claimed to be the eternal God, and He is the One I follow. 1 John 4:19.

2. Amerasian - This is a term I was introduced to by my soccer players at Pyongtaek International School in Korea back in 2002. When I stated I was born on a military base to a white American father and Japanese mother, several of my players mentioned I was Amerasian like them. I had always considered myself Asian-American up until that point, but the term isn't the most accurate description of my ethnicity.

3. TCK - Spending most of my school years in small-town Indiana was a tremendous blessing, but it did have its challenges. Sometimes people found it confusing that I was born in Guam, lived in Thailand prior to coming to Indiana, and moved to Brazil and Puerto Rico during my elementary and high school years. Since I've spent a significant part of my developmental years outside my parents' culture, that makes me a Third Culture Kid (TCK). I'm not just an American who is half Japanese, I have several other cultures that have shaped me.

4. Hoosier - I'm from Indiana. I've been to the 500 track numerous times and think tenderloins twice the size of the buns are normal. Occasionally non-Hoosiers have made fun of my accent, and despite not being a basketball player, I grew up watching and attending high school and college basketball games. Being a Hoosier is in my blood.

So there you have it. Now you don't have to wonder what I am. Hopefully, this will help you better understand me and all the people like me. :-)

The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, or whom I am the foremost. 1 Timothy 1:15

An eight-year-old Wick visiting the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.




No comments:

Post a Comment