Thursday, November 23, 2017

Why I'm Thankful For My 20+ Years Overseas

Although I claim to be a Hoosier, I'm a mixed up one. Nearly half of my life has been spent overseas which has made me a little unique. I like to catch largemouth bass and eat sushi. I'm comfortable with a fist bump, handshake, or deep bow. My "love" for soccer started in Brazil, and I wear a wedding band purchased in Thailand - a country I lived in prior to moving to "The Hoosier State." Living overseas has profoundly impacted me, and I'm thankful for all that I've experienced outside of the States. Below are seven reasons why I'm thankful to have spent so much time around the world.

1. You get to try new food. Scorpions, starfish, and seahorses. Yes, I've consumed all of them (just not at the same time).

2. You get to learn new languages. It's interesting when a language you once thought sounded a bit funky becomes normal to you. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

3. You get to celebrate new holidays. If you like fireworks, try Chinese New Year in China. It's like a battle zone.

4. You gain new friends. Who doesn't want that? Only a Scrooge. Don't be a Scrooge.

5. You learn about the world in ways books and videos simply can't teach. As a former geography teacher, I often know more facts about a country than the people from the country. Despite this, you need to experience the culture to truly begin to understand it.

6. You learn about yourself. Living overseas can definitely be character building and a time of growth. You'll be placed in uncomfortable situations that will humble you and show you how you're not all that.

7. You can worship with other believers in different languages. I have sung, prayed, listened to sermons, and read the Bible with brothers and sisters in atheist, Buddhist, and Muslim nations. God has provided me a little glimpse of Heaven during my time overseas.

Never been overseas? What's stopping you? Have you done some traveling? What have you enjoyed about being overseas? I would enjoy hearing from you.

March 2012 - We're leaving our apartment complex in Tianjin (China) to go out to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment