Sunday, December 17, 2017

Reflecting on R.C. Sproul's Passing

A few days ago I was sad to hear of R.C. Sproul's death. The first book I read and studied as a new believer back in 2000 was Sproul's Chosen By God. His books, videos, and articles have profoundly impacted me. With the exception of John Piper, no pastor has taught me more about Jesus than Dr. Sproul. I owe a great deal to the man, and I look forward to thanking him in Heaven. Below are three notable quotes from Dr. Sproul from three of his books that I highly recommend.

"To be conformed to Jesus, we must first begin to think as Jesus did. We need the "mind of Christ." We need to value the things He values and despise the things He despises. We need to have the same priorities He has. We need to consider weighty the things He considers weighty." The Holiness of God (1985)

"If there is one single molecule in this universe running around loose, totally free of God's sovereignty, then we have no guarantee that a single promise of God will ever be fulfilled." Chosen by God (1986)

"...the more we understand of the holiness and righteousness of God, the more we begin to see by contrast how desperately fallen we are and how utterly dependent we are on His mercy and grace. The Truth of the Cross (2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment