Thursday, November 16, 2017

Five Ways Our Minivan Drew Me to Christ

I was blessed to drive some decent vehicles prior to moving overseas in 2002. Courtesy of my parents, I drove a Chevy Camaro during high school and part of my college years, and later they gave me a first generation two-door S-10 Blazer. The first wheels I purchased was a Chevy Silverado which my dad wisely sold when I was in China. When we moved back to Indiana last summer (the kiddos had actually never lived outside of China), my pops gifted us with a 97 hunter green Plymouth Voyager minivan, a.k.a., the Wickmobile. I'm extremely thankful my dad (and my in-laws) gave us some transpo. Our transition back to the States was met with some challenges, but having working vehicles certainly made life a whole lot easier.

At the start of this month, it was time to end an era and part ways with the Wickmobile. I don't want to sound like an ungrateful wretch, but like me, she had some issues. Despite this, God used her to draw me to Christ in several ways. Let me explain.

1. Humility – The Wickmobile could spend some more time in the shop. This summer the blower motor went out so that meant no AC and heat. The headliner is sagging in multiple locations, and the wheels always made some unique sounds that I couldn't figure out how to fix.

2. Joy – Inside the Wickmobile we experienced the joy of the Lord by listening to Christian music via the radio. The Wickmobile has a vintage cassette player, and this joy would have only increased had I not donated all of my MC Hammer tapes. 

3. Kindness – Sometimes I was asked to deliver or pick up items by way of the Wickmobile. I’ve also been able to pick up a couple of large pieces of furniture that Megan selected for our home. I’m such a kind guy.

4. Prayer – Although this didn't happen very often in recent months, there was a time when the Wickmobile would occasionally be in the middle of the road and just stop running. I'm confident that my constant prayers were being heard.

5. Strength – Crank windows, power locks that didn’t always work, and having to remove two rows of heavy seats in order to haul items - my 150-pound Spirit-filled temple was definitely being used as a living sacrifice.

Every so often I would shake my head and wonder how I ended up driving a twenty-year-old minivan. Although the Wickmobile isn't something you'll find on the cover of Car and Driver, she definitely drew me to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment