Thursday, March 24, 2011

Don't Tell Him He Has a Disability

It has been almost ten years since I last coached middle schoolers how to wrestle. For several years I coached wrestlers at a couple of different schools in central Indiana. People have often told me that they are impressed with all of the running I do on a soccer field, but I have always felt wrestling was a much more physically grueling sport.

What Anthony Robles accomplished last week at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships was just amazing. Despite being born with only one leg, Anthony Robles was crowned the D1 champ at 125 pounds. Wow. What has impressed me the most about Mr. Robles has been his attitude. Often we are so lazy and making excuses in life, but here is a young man who has persevered despite having what some would call a physical limitation. I don't know exactly what Robles believes in, but I pray that God would use Him for His glory.

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:13-14 

No comments:

Post a Comment