Saturday, January 5, 2013

Reviewing Ted Kluck's Hello, I Love You: Adventures in Adoptive Fatherhood

Although Hello, I Love You was written more than two years ago, I wasn't aware of it until a couple of weeks ago. In a few weeks my wife and I will be adopting our third child from China so reading Mr. Kluck's book during the Christmas break was perfect timing. Hello, I Love You is quite different from other adoption books I've read. This 190-pager is written by a Christian thirty-something guy who speaks quite candidly about the challenges of international adoption, infertility, communication, the church, and more. It's both humorous and raw.

The 11 chapters are divided into two parts. Part 1 is entitled Tristan which is the name of the first child the Klucks adopted from Ukraine. Part 2 is entitled Dima which is the name of the second child the Klucks adopted Ukraine. Mr. Kluck is quite frank about not always enjoying the way things operate in the Ukraine, and I could see some Ukrainians being offended; however, Mr. Kluck has good things to say about the Ukraine as well. Adopting children is not always a smooth process, and that is certainly the case here. Reading about Kluck's two international adoptions made me extremely thankful for not having to face their trials. It was also good to read that Mr. Kluck is fully aware that complaining is sinful, and that he understands that his wife has been so patient with him. I can more than relate to these things.

If you are looking for a book that talks about how everything about adopting children is beautiful, this is not the book for you. If you are interested in reading what international adoptions can be like and feel like, especially if you're a man, I recommend Hello, I Love You. Although I was disappointed not to read about the completion of a third adoption, I know the story has not ended.

1 comment: