Thursday, January 27, 2011

What Books Have Influenced You?

Kevin DeYoung, Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church at East Lansing, Michigan, recently had a drawing where readers of his blog could mention a book that has been influential in their lives. The post is entitled, The Most Influential Books For Reformed Evangelicals. I found it to be an interesting list. I have completed three of the top five books, and I have read books from all of the authors, but three. Most of the books have not been around for a long time and are well-known in young evangelical circles.

Of the books mentioned, I would say R.C. Sproul's Chosen by God has been the most influential in my life. Shortly after I became a real believer over ten years ago, I was part of a small group that examined predestination using the Bible and Sproul's book, Chosen by God. Little did I know how instrumental that study would be in helping me begin to understand God and His perfect plan. I recently picked up Chosen by God again, and I now have a much better understanding of the Christian doctrine of predestination. I by no means have it all figured out, but I know God's plan of redemption brings Him great honor, praise, and glory forever.

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment