Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Happy 15th Anniversary, Megan!

Today Megan I celebrate 15 years of marriage. Where did the time go?! Our marriage has not always been pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows, but through it all, Christ has been at the center. Megan continues to draw me closer to Christ, and I certainly know I wouldn't be where I'm at today had God not brought us together. Of course, I still have much to learn and can be a little rough around the edges, but thankfully God isn't finished with me. Below are 15 ways that God is using Megan to point me to the King of Kings and Lord of All, Jesus Christ.

1. I like to fix things, but Megan has taught me the importance of listening and asking questions. It can be hard for me(n) and I (we) don't always do a good job in this area, but I think I've come a long way!

2. Sometimes I forget that toughness is not one of the fruit of the Spirit. Megan will provide me with a look, a touch, the words, or prayer that helps me take it down a notch when some gentleness is needed.

3. Megan has helped me be more generous with our finances, something I need help with and something I struggled with tremendously in the past. I don't always remember to be a cheerful giver.

4. I often prefer reading about service instead of doing it. I've shared with a number of people about a time when I didn't want to be a part of a community project. Megan told me I should start doing what I'm reading. Ouch.

5. There was an occasion when I had very unloving thoughts toward someone important in my life and instead of criticizing me, Megan prayed and allowed the Spirit to do His work. I don't think I'll forget that.

6. Life can be hard, and Jesus promises that suffering will take place. I hate watching Megan experience pain, but she often suffers well and points me to the cross.

7. Megan has been instrumental in helping me better understand several spiritual disciplines such as Scripture memorization, small group studies, praying with others, and reading solid Christian books that help me know Christ. I'm blessed.

8. Sometimes people praise me for being a good communicator. Much of what I write or present is edited by Megan. She provides excellent feedback that I typically agree with.

9. There is no doubt that I'm a better parent because of what Megan has taught me. She has read a ton of parenting books and gleaned much from Godly people.

10. Megan asked me what I thought about adoption when we were just getting to know each other. Her advocacy for adoption has resulted in a world I never knew.

11. Megan has taught me much about evangelism and opening our home to others. She has a heart for God and others that is the real deal.

12. Megan is very relational and loves our family and friends. When I want to retreat and selfishly eat beef jerky in the corner of a room, she gets me out of my shell to connect with people.

13. I tend to have a critical eye, but Megan is much better at seeing the glass half full and encouraging others. I know this is one of the million reasons why God brought us together.

14. I don't always smile like I should, and sometimes I'm responding to others way too seriously. When Megan sees this, she'll sometimes make a joke or give me a hug that helps me lighten up.

15. Although I'm not a big art guy, this weekend we'll watch a romantic musical in Lexington. Score. Megan's B.A. has an emphasis in visual art, and I know art will have a much bigger emphasis in Heaven.

The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful beautiful beautiful anniversary tribute of Megan! Oh that is the wonderful Megan I know and that we all love. Well written from the heart!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing, Mark!!! I see so much of Carol in Megan....she has learned well from her momma!!! God does marvelous work!!! Many more blessed years!!!!!♥️

    ReplyDelete