Friday, February 1, 2019

Seven Ways My Seven-Year-Old Points Me to Jesus

A couple of weeks ago we celebrated Josiah Lee's Gotcha Day by zooming down a hill on sleds and eating some tasty steakburgers. We also spent time thanking God for the gift of adoption and prayed that we would see Josiah Lee's biological parents in Heaven. It's hard to believe Josiah Lee has been a Wickersham for six years now.

Megan and I adopted Josiah Lee in 2013 in Wuhan, a Chinese city of over 10 million people. I wasn't planning on adopting a third child, especially if it meant a boy; however, God changed my heart. I'm so thankful God rules my heart. God is sovereign and fashions us according to His will. As a result of God's work in me, I now have the privilege of training a little boy to be a little Christ.

Although Josiah Lee is only seven, he actually displays Christ better than me at times. It's ridiculous, but sometimes I wish I was more like Josiah Lee. Yes, he sins every day just like me, but by God's grace, he is doing some things right. Below are seven ways my seven-year-old points me to Jesus.

1. Disappointed When He Disappoints Us - Josiah Lee doesn't give us the eye roll or talk back to us; he's genuinely disappointed when we aren't pleased with his behavior.

2. Filled With Joy - I often allow my circumstances to steal my joy, but Josiah Lee can often be found smiling or laughing. He's definitely a joy to be around.

3. Gentle - I forget that toughness isn't a fruit of the Spirit. Not Josiah Lee. He has a gentle heart, and I have much to learn from him.

4. Obedient - Josiah Lee routinely does what we ask of him. I'm sure when I was seven that my teachers wouldn't have said the same thing.

5. Patient - Josiah Lee was born with one hand so some things are just going to be harder for him. Try tying your shoes, peeling an orange, or casting and reeling a fishing rod with one hand. I'm amazed at how he doesn't express frustration when things take him a little more time to figure out and do.

6. Quick To Forgive - Sometimes I'm not a very good daddy, but Josiah Lee is quick to forgive me when I'm a little frustrated or barking out orders. Josiah Lee is definitely a Colossians 3:13 guy.

7. Servant's Heart - Josiah Lee frequently asks if he can help the family. It can be cutting veggies in the kitchen or raking leaves in the yard. Josiah Lee wants to help.

But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." Mark 10:14-15

2 comments:

  1. so beautiful. What a sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh makes me want to hug him. What huge blessing Josiah is!! 🙏🏻❤️

    ReplyDelete