Saturday, April 7, 2018

What I Like About Running (Without a Ball)

I don't like running without a ball. Put a soccer ball in front of me, and I can run all day. No soccer ball? No way, Jose. Every time I jog, when I take my first step I'm thinking, "Why do people do this?" Runners are crazy. I have a great deal of respect for them, but I still think they're crazy. They just run, and they often like it. That's crazy! Despite my lack of joy when I run, running is good for me. Below are seven reasons why running is a blessing to me. Perhaps I'm a little crazy as well.

1. When I run, I always pray. This morning I thanked God that I could run despite a bad ankle sprain on March 11th.

2. When I run, I'm reminded that I'm not young anymore. Our culture says that's a bad thing, but I'm thankful I'm not quite the idiot I was twenty years ago.

3. When I run, I'm reminded how I'll get a new body in Heaven. This morning I participated in a 10K (6.2 miles), and my ankles, right knee, and upper thighs didn't feel the greatest during the last two miles.

4. When I run, I'm reminded of how much of a sinner I am and how much I need Jesus. I have to fight complaining (I woke up to snow today) and thank God for the way He made my body and that I can see His beautiful creation as I run.

5. When I run, I can be reminded that I'm not as smart as I think I am. I overdressed for my morning run. Shortly after they shot the race gun, I had to take my hat and gloves off and unzip my two jackets.

6. When I run, I can get inspired. An 81-year-old woman beat me this morning by nearly two minutes. Wow. If I reach her age one day, I hope I'll be able to move like she can.

7. When I run, I'm reminded how weak I am. There have been some hills that have kicked my butt and given me the strong desire to quit. It's only through the Holy Spirit that I'm able to persevere.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2

Run Into Madness 7K on March 3rd (The second part of the USI Screaming Eagles Running Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment