Sunday, February 22, 2015

Reviewing R.C. Sproul's The Lightlings

I purchased The Lightlings through Amazon China, and it's the second book by R.C. Sproul that I've read to my children. In The Lightlings, Dr. Sproul tells us the biblical story of redemption in a way that is both enjoyable and deep. It's an allegorical tale where a grandfather tells his grandson about fairylike creatures who shine brightly. One day these creatures disobey their Creator and King which brings them into a great darkness and shows them their need for the Light. The story ends with the boy and his grandfather having a conversation.

The Lightlings consists of 30 pages with more than half of the pages being illustrations that are a mix of fantasy and realism. The last three pages consist of 13 questions with Bible references that children can be asked in an effort to help them better understand the story. Although the book is meant for elementary students, I believe many of my sixth-grade students would enjoy hearing me read The Lightlings to them. It's a meaningful book, and I recommend it to anyone who desires to help young children better understand what life is all about.

God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment