Monday, February 18, 2013

Reviewing Dave Harvey's When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage


I placed When Sinners Say “I Do” on my Amazon Wish List after reading a Tim Challies’ review in which he stated this is perhaps the best marriage book he has ever read. I had no excuse to purchase the Kindle book once I saw it under $2. It was released in the summer of 2007 and consists of less than two hundred pages. When Sinners Say “I Do” is organized in the following manner:

Chapter 1: What Really Matters in Marriage
Chapter 2: Waking Up With the Worst of Sinners
Chapter 3: The Fog of War and the Law of Sin
Chapter 4: Taking it Out for a Spin
Chapter 5: Mercy Triumphs Over Judgment
Chapter 6: Forgiveness, Full and Free
Chapter 7: The Surgeon, the Scalpel, and the Spouse in Sin
Chapter 8: Stubborn Grace
Chapter 9: Concerning Sex
Chapter 10: When Sinners Say Goodbye

The author, Pastor Dave Harvey, has written a few books, has served in pastoral ministry for over 25 years, and has been married for more than 30 years. Harvey writes candidly in When Sinners Say “I Do” that the problem in marriages is our sinful hearts; however, he doesn’t stop there. He also points us to the beautiful solution, the Good News of Jesus Christ. When Sinners Say “I Do” can be easily understood to those new to the faith yet strike straight at the heart of those who have been walking faithfully with the Lord for many years. Humor is tastefully sprinkled throughout this biblical book. I found chapter eight to be particularly insightful and used much of it for a devotional I led on encouragement. The chapter on sex was done in good taste. I’m thankful to have finally read When Sinners Say “I Do”, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to any Christian regardless of whether you have recently gotten engaged or you have been married for a good number of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment