Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Reviewing George Barna's Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions

I read Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority for one of my summer classes at CIU. The 145-page book was written almost eight years ago by George Barna, founder of America's leading marketing research firm focused on faith and culture. He says that most American churches fail to see that a child's moral development is set before they reach the age of ten. Churches need to place more of an emphasis on ministering to children or the energies placed on youth ministry needs to be (more) gospel-centered. Churches need to work with parents and help equip them to teach children a biblical worldview.

Although I do not find Barna's book to be a gripping read, I do applaud his efforts to remind us the importance of teaching young people the ways of the Lord. Many statistics are found throughout the eight chapters; however, more Scripture to support his claims would make this book much more powerful. Almost no Bible verses are found in the first two chapters - The State of American Children and The Spiritual Health of Our Children. The latter chapters do improve in this area as well as providing us ideas to help us produce spiritually mature children.

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6      

4 comments:

  1. Interesting comments. Unfortunate though about what you wrote--that there is not enough Scripture. Does he cover catechisms? Those two should be essential in transforming children, I would think.

    We just got a new book--*Give Them Grace*, by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson. I've heard good things about it and am reviewing it for our school's blog. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not recall anything mentioned about catechisms, and I am not familiar with Give Them Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished *Give Them Grace* and would definitely recommend it. It is an excellent parenting book that gives gospel foundations for true Christian obedience desired in our kids. I think you would enjoy it and that it would be a refreshing read after Barna's book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a good book. There are way too many books I want to read! The next books I plan on completing for personal enrichment are Miller's A Praying Life and Ferguson's In Christ Alone. I've been listening to Joni Eareckson Tada's A Place of Healing.

    ReplyDelete