Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day 2011

This morning the Holy Spirit brought Isaiah 64:8 to my mind, and I decided to share it with my family. This was a verse Megan and I memorized together when I lived in Korea almost ten years ago. It says, "But now, O LORD, you are our Father, we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand." Later at the 10:45 service at FEPC we sang Stuart Townend's contemporary hymn, How Deep The Father's Love. I found it particularly moving on this Father's Day and wish more songs like this were written. Once again I was reminded how I am deserving of nothing but eternal punishment. How incredible it is that in our sovereign creator's mercy and grace, He adopted us into His family. I am so thankful to be able to teach this to my daughters. Our Father is good.

How Deep the Father's Love by Stuart Townend

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Hendricks County Historical Museum

3 comments:

  1. Happy Father's Day, Wick! We've been blessed in different ways and at different times by observing and knowing your testimony, leadership, conviction, story of adopting your girls to whom you are a great dad, and God-honoring, Christ-exalting relationship with your wife. May the Lord bless you and continue to use you as a leader in the various spheres in which you are engaged.

    We too love this song by Townend--rich theology there.

    On a sidebar--I was interested to see that you were worshiping at a Presbyterian church. What's the story there? Are you Presbyterian? Is family here in the States?

    Lord bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Brandon. I hope Father's Day was a special one for you.

    The Southern Baptist church I was a member of disbanded when I moved to Korea in 2002. I have been worshiping at the church Megan grew up in since that time. I do have a different understanding of baptism than the http://www.epc.org/, but I have received nothing but support from them. I am not Presbyterian, but I love worshipping with Presbyterians!

    I'll be at CIU from June 26th to July 16th before flying back to the Middle Kingdom on July 28th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did have a good time visiting with family in Valencia--the Stimacs, if you remember them.

    Interesting about the church situation. I understand what you mean! I have come to understand more about and love my Presbyterian brothers here as well. For every month which has a fifth Sunday, in the evening we have a joint service with several churches in Escondido: two Reformed Baptist, one Southern Baptist, and one Presbyterian. Good times of fellowship and uniting around the Gospel.

    I hope your studies go well this summer and plans for the new school year.

    ReplyDelete