Sunday, June 17, 2018

I Have a 16-Year-Old

Rosalie turned the big 16 on Friday. Where does the time go? Below are 16 interesting facts about my oldest child.

1. Rosalie used to have a British accent and occasionally used words that we didn't know.

2. One week before Christmas, Rosalie entered our family as a 4.5-year-old; however, it took 3.5 years before her adoption was finalized.

3. During Rosalie's first-grade year, Megan homeschooled Rosalie in core subject matters.

4. Like her brother and sister, Rosalie's middle name is Chinese - Jinmin. The "Jin" comes from the city she is from and where we used to live, Tianjin.

5. Like her dad, Rosalie has consumed salted scorpions. Yum, yum to the tum, tum.

6. Last year, Rosalie participated in cross country, swimming, and track & field. This year she has returned to the soccer field and is playing on my high school squad.

7. Rosalie was placed on a "B" team for an open futsal tournament in 7th grade, and she ended up leading the team in goals and helping the team win the tourney. Her coach was a short intense dude that wouldn't shut up.

8. I served as Rosalie's assistant volleyball coach during her sixth-grade year, her first of two years of playing organized volleyball.

9. Rosalie played on the middle school basketball team at her international school in China for two years. Despite standing at a gigantic 5'2", she still can't dunk a basketball.

10. Rosalie has a TCK blog that she started in 8th grade. I've encouraged her to keep writing, but I think she needs to hear that from others.

11. Rosalie played the French horn for five years and once left her $3600 horn in the back of a taxi. I praise Jesus for the help we received from our local friends, expat community, and the police in retrieving the horn. Did I mention how crazy expensive French horns are?

12. Grace Noel and Rosalie have always shared a bedroom, and although they may prefer having their own rooms, I think this brings them closer.

13. Rosalie has done well in some elementary Bible memorization competitions and has forced me to work on this spiritual discipline.

14. This past year Rosalie took Chinese language lessons on Sunday afternoons. I went fishing instead of participating in language studies.

15. Rosalie will be getting her learner's permit soon. Pray for us.

16. I baptized Rosalie in a hotel pool several years ago. I'm thankful for the privilege it is to train Rosalie in God's ways and hope she will always seek hard after Jesus and bring Him all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment