Saturday, March 10, 2018

Unique Food I've Eaten Abroad & in the States

When I lived overseas, I got the opportunity to eat lots of unique food: cicadas, duck bills and feet, salted scorpions, entire fish, starfish, seahorses, and snake on a stick, every organ imaginable, and even rocks. Some of it was great and some of it, well, tasted like rocks.

Although American cuisine isn't what I would call adventurous, I've been able to chow down on a few delectables these past two years that aren't considered your everyday fare. Check out below what I've been able to eat in my home, order on the street, or have at a restaurant.

1. Wild boar - This winter Megan made some burritos with some wild boar that we were gifted with, and they were definitely restaurant worthy.

2. Frog legs - Surprisingly, I've been able to eat frog legs at a couple different Chinese restaurants in town. Ribbit.

3. Brain sandwich - I ordered one of these sandwiches at the Fall Festival here in Evansville. They're kind of like scrambled eggs.

4. Beef tartare - My little bro ordered us this raw meat dish, and I found it to be da bomb diggity! I've eaten a ton of different kinds of meat raw, and this was by far my favorite.

5. Venison - Although I'm not a hunter, I'm thankful for those who hunt and share their game with mi familia.

6. Pizza with mussels - I'm a big fan of seafood and a big fan of pizza so why not put them together?

7. Chicken hearts - I used to get chicken hearts every time I ate at Brazilian steakhouses in China, and I was happy to recently get some at a Chinese New Year festival.

Were you aware these dishes can be consumed right here in the good ol' U.S. of A? What unique foods have found their way to your stomach? The next time you see some food that looks or smells a little funky, why not give it a go? Don't knock it until you've tried it. Bon Appetit! 

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31.

I'm eating saltwater smelts filled with eggs galore. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment