Saturday, January 2, 2016

Please Don't Call Me Wicket

I’m looking forward to seeing The Force Awakens when it is released in China on January 9th. I saw all of the other movies in the Star Wars series at the theater and that includes a midnight showing of The Phantom Menace. I chewed on the hands of Star Wars action figures when I was a kid and had Star Wars Pez dispensers on my desk when I first started teaching. I even collected the Star Wars cup toppers given at Taco Bell. Although not everything about Star Wars is commendable, I’m a fan of the series like so many of you.

When I was a fourth grader, Return of the Jedi was released. The movie was the ending I had hoped for; however, the movie also brings back many painful memories. In the movie, there is a brave young Ewok who helps the Rebel Alliance defeat the Galactic Empire during the Battle of Endor. This warrior's name - Wicket. Unfortunately, Wicket is also a super short and cute teddy bear which I wasn't into back in my elementary years. That didn't matter to my classmates. I soon find myself with a new nickname - Wicket.

I am quite excited about the latest Star Wars movie, and it is a massive relief knowing that Wicket is not in The Force Awakens. I was concerned that people would stop calling me Wick and start calling me Wicket again. As you can see in the picture below, we share quite the resemblance - we're short, cute, and warriors. If you sense the force telling you to call me Wicket, that would be the dark side. Beware of the dark side. You must learn control. Wars make not one great.

No comments:

Post a Comment