Thursday, December 31, 2009

Books I Read in December 2009

Gum, Geckos, and God: A Family's Adventure in Space, Time, and Faith by James S. Spiegel - This was one of four books I bought from http://www.bookdepository.com/ for Megan this Christmas. If you live overseas, I highly recommend their site  - free international shipping folks. Professor Spiegel teaches philosophy at Taylor University where my in-laws graduated from. The 250 pages are a fun and simple read, but topics of the utmost importance are covered. Some of the questions that Spiegel's kids ask him include: Why do some people not believe in God? Why is it hard to be good? Who gets to go to Heaven? It is not uncommon for me to start a book and finish it months later, but Gum, Geckos, and God was a book that I knocked out in a few days. Earlier portions of it made me laugh out loud while later chapters made me really reflect on my own spiritual journey. I even read some of the conversations that Spiegel had with his children to my own girls.

The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment by Tim Challies - I was very happy to receive this book from my in-laws last month as a birthday gift. Once again, xie xie Fred and Carol. Tim Challies is my favorite blogger, and I usually visit his site every day. His first book, The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment, was written two years ago and has been endorsed by many of Christian leaders whom I respect a great deal. A couple of those men include Pastor John MacArthur and Albert Mohler, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment is a 200-page book that consists of ten chapters, an appendix of discernment resources, study guide, and Scripture index. Tim Challies tells us how to devote ourselves to developing biblical discernment. His book is extremely relevant and a clear examination of an all-important topic that needs to be addressed more.

What's the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible by John Piper -  I decided to read What's the Difference? primarily because I want a better understanding of what God says about myself and my wife. Like most married men, I want a stronger marriage. This short book is actually one of the chapters from a much larger book called Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Pastor Piper believes in complementarianism which is the theological view that because men and women are different genders, we are designed for different (complementary) roles and responsibilities. We are of the same worth before God, but we do not share the same authority and responsibilities in church and family. The Bible teaches that I am to lovingly lead, protect and provide for my wife and girls and that my beautiful and intelligent wife is to help me in my role. If you find that archaic, you need to read this short book to complement your reading of the Book. What's the Difference? is the seventh Piper book I have completed, and I hope to complete books #8 (This Momentary Marriage) and #9 (The Future of Justification) next month.

Ephesians 5:22-32

No comments:

Post a Comment