Friday, November 13, 2009

Books I Read in September 2009

Spectacular Sins: And Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ by John Piper - Once again, I was not disappointed by Pastor Piper. This small book by Dr. Piper should be read by any of us who wonder why there is so much suffering in the world. It is a question I have often been asked by students and others. I believe reading Spectacular Sins will not only provide you the theologically correct answers but can also give a sense of peace in knowing that our sovereign God has the entire universe in absolute complete control. The book concludes very appropriately with a powerful prayer. "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good..." Genesis 50:20

The Mark of the Christian by Francis Schaeffer - The Mark of the Christian was written almost 40 years ago and has less than 40 pages. Despite the thinness of his book, Pastor Schaeffer presents a critical message that many people who profess to be Christians need to hear. As stated in John 13:33-35, love must be the distinguishing mark of all Christians. He who fails to love has not been truly changed by the gospel message.

The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith by Tim Keller - Although I have listened to Tim Keller speak and have watched him in interviews, The Prodigal God is the first book I have read from the Presbyterian pastor. It was a gift from my place of employment - something they do for the teachers at the start of every year. Xie xie admin team. Once I complete a few other books on my reading list, I hope to borrow Keller's The Reason for God from a colleague later in the school year. The Prodigal God is a small book that helped me see the Parable of the Lost Son in a new light. Although I recommend this gospel-centered book to others, I cannot justify the $19.95 list price for such a quick read. I suggest saving your money by finding a comfy chair at your local Barnes and Noble and reading the book in a couple of hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment