Friday, October 24, 2014

Reviewing Ravi Zacharias' The Lotus and the Cross

The Purchase: Earlier this month I purchased Ravi ZachariasThe Lotus and the Cross from the Amazon China site, and once again I was pleased with Amazon China's fast and reliable services. The Amazon China site continues to improve their imported book selection, and I was glad to have finally read The Lotus and the Cross. The Lotus and the Cross is a book I purchased as a gift over a decade ago, and it was on my Amazon Wish List for several years. I don't often read fiction, but the story of Jesus having a conversation with Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) intrigued me.

The Author: Ravi Zacharias is an Indian-born Christian apologist and author who has spoken at top universities such as Harvard and Oxford. I became a fan of Dr. Zacharias soon after moving to China when I read his book, Jesus Among Other Gods. The Lotus and the Cross is a much quicker read at less than 90 pages. It should be noted that there are numerous pages throughout the book containing only one sentence from the story. Dr. Zacharias traveled to India and a few Southeast Asian nations in researching for The Lotus and the Cross.

The Recommendation: Although there are many critics of the book, there are also many who give high praise for The Lotus and the Cross. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to Christians and those who have a general interest in Buddhism or religion. If you are a devout Buddhist, you might not like Dr. Zacharias' interpretation of Buddhism. Dr. Zacharias covered the basic teachings of Siddhartha Gautama and not the many complex schools of thoughts and ethnic traditions within Buddhism. Although I would have liked the story to have continued, I appreciated Zacharias' epilogue and believe his book can and has provided good food for thought.